ZephIR wind lidar provides real time wind monitoring during the construction of a wind farm allowing us to make key operational decisions with all the evidence we need.
TuuliSaimaa develop wind farms in Finland and have been working with ZephIR lidar systems over many years. This novel application sees the company using ZephIR 300, the industry leading wind lidar, to monitor wind speed at the under construction 21 MW Muukko wind farm in an area approximately 8 kilometres east of the city of Lappeenranta in Finland.
ZephIR 300 provides wind measurements up to 200 metres from installed level and importantly down to just 10 metres providing TuuliSaimaa with the confidence required on all operational decisions regarding the safe lifting of turbine components during the sites construction. Consented in 2011, the Muukko project began construction in summer 2012 and ZephIR has supported all works with the wind farm now nearing completion.
TuuliSaimaa purchased their ZephIR 300 due to the high flexibility in operations available the company have used ZephIR in a number of other applications already including long and short term wind resource assessment.
Juha Tuominen, Managing Director of TuuliMuukko commented: “ZephIR 300 is easy to transport, install and rapidly begin measuring wind conditions on site, and in real time. This allows us to make vital operational decisions during the construction of our wind farms ensuring safety for all on site. Real time monitoring on-site and measuring down to just 10 metres from ground level are the key advantages as lifts can be monitored at all stages.
Aapo Koivuniemi, Development Manager at TuuliSaimaa continues: Weve used our ZephIRs in many different applications, both long-term wind resource assessments and shorter campaigns. Swift, low cost deployment and ability to perform in snowy and cold conditions are key benefits of the ZephIR.
On the announcement, Ian Locker, Managing Director at Zephir Ltd. commented: We are pleased to see this novel application of ZephIR being used on projects, ensuring construction of wind farms can continue safely by informing key decision makers with real time wind data. ZephIR 300 has been used across a range of applications by TuuliSaimaa and we continue to work closely with them supporting their wind lidar and project aspirations.
Notes for Editors
About TuuliSaimaa and TuuliMuukko
The Muukko project, registered as the company TuuliMuukko Ky, began in late 2009 and received final building permits in 2011. Finnish insurance and banking company LähiTapiola owns 90 % of TuuliMuukko, and TuuliSaimaa owns the remaining 10 %. The project consists of 7 Alstom ECO110 wind turbines in Muukko, an area approximately 8 kilometres east of the city of Lappeenranta.
TuuliSaimaa develops wind power projects in Finland, with approximately 300 MW in the development pipeline. Core competences of TuuliSaimaa include procuring suitable areas for wind power, permission procedures, planning and execution of the projects.
Visit www.tuulisaimaa.fi/ for more information.
Figure 1: ZephIR installed with TuuliSaimaa in Finland
About Zephir Ltd.
Celebrating 10 years of wind lidar excellence
In 2003 we released the first commercial wind lidar, ZephIR®, exploiting decades of research at UK government Research & Development establishment QinetiQ. Designed specifically for the wind industry ZephIR has paved the way for many of the remote sensing devices seen in the market today. Our original lidar technology continues to innovate with world firsts such as taking measurements from a wind turbine spinner and being the first to deploy an offshore wind lidar, both fixed and floating. ZephIR has also now amassed more than 3.5 million hours of operation across 650+ deployments globally spanning a decade of commercial experience. For wind measurements onshore, offshore and in turbine-mounted applications, ZephIR provides accurate, reliable finance-grade wind data.
Zephir Ltd. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Fred. Olsen Ltd. – established in the UK in 1963 with business interests primarily focussed on renewable energy, including ZephIR.
Visit www.zephirlidar.com for more information.